I didn’t forget my promise to all of you! I mentioned in this post that I would share a great recipe and I always keep my word!
This is SO yummy. Seriously. Don’t be afraid of the chopping and stirring. Just get out a good book and read while you stir. That is my trick anyway! Let me know if any of you try it. It’s a family favorite around here!
Spaghetti Bertucci (with love!)
- 1 cup oil
- 6 pods garlic chopped
- 3 onions chopped
- 2 bunches shallots (or green onion) chopped
- 2 bunches fresh parsley cut off stems and chop
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper seed
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 Tbs. salt
- 1 Tbs. pepper
Brown all above ingredients together stirring constantly until it reaches the consistency of dried spinach. (about one hour) Then add:
- 2 cans of tomato paste (or 12 ounces) and stir for 15 minutes. (this will give it a rich dark color)
- 3 16 oz. cans of tomatoes (48 oz.)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 24 oz of water (or 4 tomato paste cans of water)
Simmer 1 hour. Add cooked, chopped chicken breasts (2 or 3) and cooked meatballs about an hour before you serve. You can use pre-made meatballs, but these ones are best:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup parmesean cheese
- 1/2 to 1 cup bread crumbs
I don’t make this recipe very often and I’m not sure why that is. It’s a lot of prep, but it freezes well and it is SO worth the effort! This recipe should feed at least 15, so invite your favorite people over and enjoy!